Saturday, July 18, 2015

Room with a "holy fuck!" kind of a view

Holy fuck, did I win the "We're Sorry You've Not Been Here Before - Let Us Make It Up To You!" travel prize of this studio apartment with this completely insane balcony view. When I delightedly told the admins that I had a balcony (that I share with the next-door apartment), I assumed they had all planned ahead (since they were here a full two weeks before we were), and had also claimed balconies for themselves. As I immediately confess that I would have done if I were them. Apparently they were surprised at not being me, because it was immediately obvious that none of them had balconies, and hadn't even thought about getting one in advance of everyone else moving in (which is odd, given the very obvious balcony-centric quality of the architecture). I mean - if *I* was told that we'd be taking up the whole floor, I would have immediately gone outside, looked up at the 7th floor (the building only has 8 floors and is the tallest building in its immediate vicinity, so the view from the 7th floor is what you might call "pretty fucking compelling"), and demanded the balcony. Perhaps I am a bad person. Perhaps I plan ahead for the wrong things. Perhaps they are simply not very clever when it comes to architecture and the assigning of hotel rooms. Perhaps all these things are true, more or less. Or perhaps the travel gods are trying to make up for that Galapagos thing.

In any case, they all immediately and silently made a mental note of my room number, so I can pretty much guarantee that no faculty member of this program will ever have a balcony ever again. I intend to make the most of it. As Stirling would say, "Absolutely!"


Who could not have noticed the fucking balconies? 
Isn't the rest of this building designed to simply hold up the balconies?

No comments: